Here is the list of the best selling EVs in Ireland, in 2017 (doesn’t include used imports nor PHEVs : for the latter, click here). A total of 622 new EVs have been sold during 2017, which makes this a record year. For total sales including imports and PHEVs, have a look here.
1. Nissan Leaf (257 units sold). Even if it is its last year of production, the favourite Irish EV kept its crown for another year.
2. Hyundai Ioniq Electric (231). It has proven to become quite popular, immediately.
3. Renault Zoé (57). Still relatively slow sales, but more than during the 3 previous years together ! The 40kwh battery and the demise of battery lease made a difference.
4. Tesla Model S (36). With the first (and only) Irish dealer, the luxury EV finally sells in double-digit numbers.
5. Tesla Model X (14). It’s the best selling Electric SUV in Ireland (it’s also the worse selling one)
6. BMW i3 (12). Awaiting for the facelift and the upcoming i3s version
7. Volkswagen E-Golf (10). It’s a Golf (so a good car) but an expensive one, and it struggles to compete with Leaf and Ioniq, whilst you can get a Premium i3 for barely more.
8. Nissan ENV-200 (3). The Leaf for the families, 24kwh battery pack. For 2018, the 40kwh battery pack will make this 5 to 7-seater much more attractive.
9. Renault Twizy (1). Unique, literally.
Looking into buying a new EV? Check out our buying guide:
And here is the list of current EVs available on the Irish market:
List of Electric Vehicles (BEVs) (updated 2018 / 181)