These are the top 10 of best selling new BEVs for the 2018 year. Well, top 10 is a bit pushing it as there were exactly 10 different pure electric cars sold last year. More than 2017’s 9 models anyway and probably less than in 2019! Find the 2018 top 10 PHEVs list here
Find at the bottom the comprehensive 2018 sales tables
1. Nissan Leaf (789) : +207% – The Nissan Leaf is obviously a huge hit with a sales record over the previous generation, it is selling 8 times more than its next outsider, the Renault Zoé.
2. Hyundai Ioniq Electric (93) : -60% – This is a disappointment, when last year it was very close to the Nissan Leaf and gained respect within the EV community thanks to its high efficiency. How’s 2019 will go with the Kona’s competition ? We’re hoping for a bigger battery pack to be launched soon as it currently has the smaller capacity of lot.
5. Tesla Model S (79) : +119% – Tesla is now somewhat established in Ireland. Note that if its sales are behind the Mercedes S Class (101 units sold last year), it frankly outsells the BMW 7 series (42) and the Audi A8 (36).
7. Tesla Model X (36) : +157% – The big Tesla is doing well for a €100K+ car !
8. Jaguar i-pace (3) : Jaguar’s new model has recently landed in Ireland and will surely progress in 2019.
9. Nissan e-NV 200 Evalia (2) : -33%. It has just gone through a battery pack upgrade (from 24 to 40kWh)
9. Hyundai Kona (2) – The Kona and its class leading 64kWh battery pack is expected to be a success but supply with be an issue so it might not come anywhere close to the Nissan Leaf in 2019.
A total of 1233 new BEVs that were registered in 2018, doubling last year’s results, see below the details :