Currently, the ESB eCars App does not include the ability to plot a route along the charge network.
As a lot of people already use Google Maps to plan their journeys, and the eCars charge points are available as a .kml file, we can use the Google maps interface to plan a journey along the charge network with just a few simple steps.
Create your route
- Please ensure you are logged into a Google account before beginning. This can be done by clicking the blue “Sign In” button at the top right corner of the page.
- Go to https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/kml/all.kml
- Click “Get Directions” and enter your start/end points, then click the Blue “Get Directions” button to plot the route.
- Once the route is displayed, move your mouse over the “Traffic” button on the right hand side. A drop-down menu will be displayed, click the check mark beside “ESB eCars Charge…” to display the charge point locations alongside your current route.
From here, you can now see your route and the charge point network side by side.
Add charge points
If you want to add a charge point as a destination;
- Move your mouse over the “Traffic” button on the right hand side.
- Click on the text where it says “Driving directions to…” to switch to “Directions mode”
- Zoom in to the charge point you want to add, right-click and select “Add a destination”
This will add the destination as the last point on your route, however you will want to ensure the route goes via the charge point you’ve chosen. To do this, you just need to re-order the destinations on your route;
In the upper left corner, you will see your destinations, listed A, B, C etc…, simple drag them into the correct order as per below;
Download the Map
- In the left-hand column, where the direction steps are listed, scroll to the bottom and click on “Save to My Maps”. (While you’re there, you might take a gleeful glance at the “Est. fuel cost” of how much you will save by driving an EV on this trip!)
- Select the option to “Create a new map…” and click Save
- Once the map is saved, click the “KML” link to download your route as a .kml file.
- Make sure to select “Save File” and make a note of the location where you saved it.
Convert to GeoRSS Feed
- Click the “Browse…” button below and select the KML file which you just saved.
- Click the “Convert” button to begin the conversion process, this should only take a second.
Add the route to Carwings
- Copy and Paste/Make a note of the GeoRSS URL above.
- Sign in to CarWings with your username and password at; http://www.ireland.nissan.eu/YouPlus.html
- Click the “Favourite Channels” option.
- Click the “+” to add a new website.
- Copy and paste the GeoRSS URL from above into the “URL” box and click “Use Predefined Title”
- Click “Add” to add the feed to your car.
Add the route to your Leaf’s Navigation system
- In your Car, go to the Carwings menu and click “Favourite Channels”
- The feed you just added should now appear in this list.
- If it does not, go back to the Carwings menu and select “Update Stations” to force an update.
- Select the feed, it will download and begin “Playing”. Each location from your map (Start, End and any Waypoints in between) will be read out.
- To add the destination, press the down arrow to go to the last location (i.e. your Destination). In the example, this is item 4/4
- Press the “Pause” button on screen to display additional options.
- Now select “New Dest” to add this as a destination.
Wait while the navigation system calculates the route to the destination and starts the navigation. Note that if you try to add an additional waypoint before the route is started, it will overwrite the existing, rather than adding to it.
Add your charge points as a way point
- To add a charge point as a destination, repeat steps 1 to 3 under “Add the route to your Leaf’s Navigation system” to load the RSS feed again.
- This time, press down to go to item “3/4”
- Again, press the “Pause” button on the screen to display additional options.
- Notice that this time, there is an additional option for “Add to route”, select this option.
- You can now click “Add Waypoint” to add this destination as a waypoint on your route.
Allow the navigation system to update and plot the route to your waypoint.
You may now repeat these steps to add additional waypoints as necessary.
You should now have a complete route, enjoy the drive!